CONTACT ME

Fans, friends, and anyone else can use the following address to send me email: kfauthor@gmail.com

Whether it's a comment you don't wish to post in front of everyone or a request for information, I will monitor this address and try to follow up to those indicating they wish a reply. (Please, no spam. I just want to make it easy to communicate.)

IMPORTANT - email addresses are ONLY used to respond to messages, and are NOT sold or used for any other purpose.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

We Have A First Draft!

The first draft of "Resistance" was completed yesterday, and today I've started the editing process. A big section which revealed the true nature of the main conflict needed a lot of work, a complete restructuring. I'm also catching things I missed in the first go around. For example, in the world of the future, people carry a Universal Connection device, or UniCon, for web surfing, phone calls, and all forms of communication and information. I found a place where I used the term "phone." It's a small thing, but I know there are readers out there who notice the small things.

As I go through it, I'm making notes about what happens when, what day of the week, so I can verify references by the characters to past events are correct. I'll also be charting out years of historical events to keep them straight and make sure they don't present anachronisms.

I'm still not entirely happy with the ending, but I'm torn between adding a few paragraphs to tie up loose ends or letting it stand. I don't like loose ends, and cleaning them up would not close the door left open for a sequel. I just feel like the details will seem anticlimactic, which is contrary to having a strong final line.

Another point I'm wrestling with is adding illustrations in the form of two maps. One will be a political map of the United States of the future, and the other will be of the setting of the story. The city is divided into sectors, but the numbering scheme could be confusing without a picture. Since the characters often refer to the sectors, though, it's important to see the layout and know that their movements from sector to sector make sense.

The title may change back to what it was, "Where Power Lies." I'm nearly certain of that. And there's the cover art issue. I'm toying with the idea of asking someone else to do it for me. The image in my head is so clear, but I just don't know if I have the skills to execute it. Then again, there's a lot of work yet to do on the manuscript, and I might just come up with another concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment