CONTACT ME

Fans, friends, and anyone else can use the following address to send me email: kfauthor@gmail.com

Whether it's a comment you don't wish to post in front of everyone or a request for information, I will monitor this address and try to follow up to those indicating they wish a reply. (Please, no spam. I just want to make it easy to communicate.)

IMPORTANT - email addresses are ONLY used to respond to messages, and are NOT sold or used for any other purpose.

Monday, April 8, 2013

What's Next

I started the editing process on "Seer, Tyro, Fiend" this morning. The first pass is always the toughest as I see so many things I want to change. In the first three chapters, I'm already looking toward the organization aspect, of making sure that there is a hook at the end of each chapter. I know I pay way too much attention to chapter length, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I do this to be mindful of not letting things get too choppy and avoid ruining the pace, especially so early into the story. Long way to go on this one...

Since one story has been completed, I needed to start thinking about my next project. As I lay in bed last night, I found myself thinking about ideas I've had for another Jack Watson book. One inspiration came while my husband and I went through some old files of his. I made a joking reference to a line in a movie ("Burn After Reading") about secret files, and he told me about how some businesses prevent the dissemination of proprietary data. Voila! I had a case for Jack to investigate. Off goes the imagination to develop the idea and create a plot.

This morning, I spent a few minutes typing the ideas into the first document of a new folder on my computer (each book has a folder of its own). I know I also have some in the small notebook I keep in my purse. The ideas are scattered bits and pieces mostly, sometimes with questions. One big issue to be addressed is the antagonist. I have envisioned a stalker who will also have a point of view, dropping hints to the reader along the way. But the stalker needs development, a persona, a goal and motivation for his/her actions. I haven't even decided which gender the stalker is or who will be the one stalked. I want to keep the target ambiguous, a part of the suspense, as the other three point of view characters each suspect someone else with different motives.

The plot thickens, as they say, but therein lies the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment