CONTACT ME

Fans, friends, and anyone else can use the following address to send me email: kfauthor@gmail.com

Whether it's a comment you don't wish to post in front of everyone or a request for information, I will monitor this address and try to follow up to those indicating they wish a reply. (Please, no spam. I just want to make it easy to communicate.)

IMPORTANT - email addresses are ONLY used to respond to messages, and are NOT sold or used for any other purpose.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Retirement - Day 1

So here it is, my first day without a salaried job in almost 40 years. Facebook asked me how I was feeling this morning. I feel mighty fine. Throughout the day at the office yesterday, a lot of people asked me what I was going to do next, and many were shocked to learn of my literary pursuits. While working, I made it a point to NOT talk about writing except during more personal, friend-type conversations with people, because I did not think it would be ethical to market my books while on the job. As much as possible, I strove to keep my two worlds separate. Of course, as I prepared to leave employment, the rules changed just a little. I mean, when people asked the question, lying would then be unethical, right? (I'm sure Jack Watson would cringe.)

Once I arrived home, I had some time to work on "Seer, Tyro, Fiend" but stalled at another crucial juncture. Stefanie is about to receive some clues that will solve the missing-person mystery, but those have to be somewhat esoteric, like pieces of a puzzle that must be put together to make sense. Deciding what those should be led me to another thought regarding my own fair-play rules. I started to wonder if I have provided just enough clues as to the identity of a major villain. This person (see how she cleverly declines to provide a hint with a gender-specific pronoun) does not have much time on stage so far, and the easy answer is to "beef up" that scene some more. Would it then be too obvious due to the drama it would entail? But another appearance might also be too big of a hint. The other option is to mix things up so that the reader isn't all that sure who the baddies are.  Ah, well, I'll have more time to work on it now!

There are some other writing-related tasks high on my to-do list. I need to finish up proofing on "Game Faces" for the paper edition and check the corrected paper galley for "The Changeling Kill." A paper edition for "Dabblers" will be showing up before long, too.

And just yesterday, people were warning me that I'd get bored after a couple of days without a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment