CONTACT ME

Fans, friends, and anyone else can use the following address to send me email: kfauthor@gmail.com

Whether it's a comment you don't wish to post in front of everyone or a request for information, I will monitor this address and try to follow up to those indicating they wish a reply. (Please, no spam. I just want to make it easy to communicate.)

IMPORTANT - email addresses are ONLY used to respond to messages, and are NOT sold or used for any other purpose.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Transitions

A tiny bit of progress on "Seer, Tyro, Fiend" yesterday--a couple of new pages added. Even as I write this, I'm thinking about undoing some of what I did because I'm not sure the scene I started is really necessary. I put it in because of timing issues. Stefanie is about to take another step in exploring her talents, but the plan is for Paul to come home from work and find her in the middle of her psychic journey. Unless I have him come home early from work, she needs to be doing something else before her experiment starts. Do I need to account for that time, either as it happens or in a summarizing statement? Or does this constitute a scene break? Once again, I remind myself that whatever I write in the first draft, I can change later, insert something later, or remove something later. There's still an old-fashioned part of me that wants to get it right the first time.

I've also been proofing "Game Faces" for the paperback edition, and so far, it's pretty clean. Sometime after that, "Dabblers" will be destined for paper, too.

As I wind down from my day job, more people have been finding out about my writing pursuits, and I have no hesitation in discussing it as part of my future plans. While employed, I tried to avoid mixing those two worlds as I did not want to give the appearance of using office time to promote my books to a captive audience. Since writing is soon to be more my real job and people are asking me what I'm going to do when I leave the company, I feel it is appropriate to tell them about it.

Leaving a job. I've done it before, but this will be the longest I've ever been at a single company -- 13 years! -- and for the first time, I do not have another traditional-type job lined up. As much as I have anticipated the scenario of not having one, the feeling as it approaches being reality is somewhat surreal. Will I miss it? Don't think so, although my hubby thinks I will. Time will tell. I have writing to do, promotion, books to read, a small business of editing I'm thinking of starting, household projects that are long overdue. No shortage of activities to fill my day.

Whatever trepidation I might feel about this transition, what I'm about to do is embark on being a "real" writer, making a living at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment