CONTACT ME

Fans, friends, and anyone else can use the following address to send me email: kfauthor@gmail.com

Whether it's a comment you don't wish to post in front of everyone or a request for information, I will monitor this address and try to follow up to those indicating they wish a reply. (Please, no spam. I just want to make it easy to communicate.)

IMPORTANT - email addresses are ONLY used to respond to messages, and are NOT sold or used for any other purpose.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Sometimes It's a Struggle

I've spent a lot of the morning on "The Janus Rule" and the tricky scene I mentioned in yesterday's post. A lot of writing dialog and then back tracking to change it. How much to reveal? Should this be a new area of conflict or the resolution of one? What suspect should it point to? I want each major character to suspect someone else, and maybe one of them actually targets the right person. The Jack Watson books have always been complicated in this way with multiple points of view and devious plots by bad guys.

A few things I want to do differently with this book, however, remain in my thoughts. One, no F.B.I., which was involved in both "Dreamer" and "Changeling." I don't want it to become predictable, and the idea of a P.I.'s cases always leading to a crime of federal magnitude seems a bit preposterous. Two, I want unlikely heroes responding in unpredictable ways. In "Changeling," Jack wasn't the big hero in the end although he solved the puzzle. Time for him to be the tough action guy again? I don't know yet.

Over the last couple of days, I've also given more thought to another novel, the first one I ever finished and tried to market. It's the one that came back with all those repetitious phrases marked. I still like the story line, though, and the characters. It deserves a rewrite I think.

Then there's a third Windsong Lake plot I've been mulling over. I saw a picture posted on Facebook this morning that stirred the inspiration engine for it. I already have an exciting opening sequence, a set-up for the events to unfold, a crucial scene, at least one line of conflict. Maybe while I sort out my thoughts on "Janus," I should make some notes about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment